Sunday, August 19, 2012

Holocaust in Hungary

One thing I have been really interested in lately is history.  The richest history in the world is said to happen in Europe.  I learnt a lot about the Holocaust when I went to Japan. We visited Hiroshima and saw the place the atomic bomb hit.  It was incredible that something can destroy that much... I like reading stories about survivors, and visiting the places I have read about.  While on Pintrest (of course) I found this picture about Hungary. During WWII the soldiers forced the Hungarians to leave their shoes along the bank of the river right before they shot the people into the river. The shoes on here are made if iron and are meant to represent the shoes that were lost.
Iron shoes are pictured on the bank of the Danube on January 27, 2012, marking the Holocaust in Hungary. Hundreds of Hungarian Jews had to leave their shoes on the bank before they were shot into the river by Hungarian militaimen during the World War II. The United Nations declared in 2005 the Holocaust Memorial Day on January 27 to commemorate the 6 million Jews and other victims murdered by the Nazis. (Getty Images)

No comments:

Post a Comment